Australian Grape & Wine reminds everyone to stay safe this Christmas. Some important tips for staying safe include:
- Think about your business assets and the impact a significant pest or disease incursion could have on your bottom line;
- Familiarise yourself with endemic and exotic pests and diseases most likely to cause significant harm to vineyards and enter the Exotic Plant Pest Hotline (1800 084 881) into your favourite contact list;
- Identify who creates the biosecurity risk associated with your property;
- Identify the key pathways for pests, diseases and weeds to enter your property; and
- Implement practical steps to minimise the risk of a pest or disease incursion for each risk pathway.
December saw the Barossa launch of the innovative iMapPests surveillance unit. The unit will aid on-farm management decision making through rapid monitoring and reporting of airborne pests and diseases in the area.
The initiative is a collaboration between AUSVEG, Wine Australia and16 supporting partners and runs across multiple agricultural sectors, including viticulture, grains, cotton, sugar, horticulture and forestry. Key viticulture pests and diseases, such as Light Brown Apple Moth, will be targeted at the Barossa trial site. The technology will eventually be able to assist with biosecurity through early detection of exotic pests.