On 11 September 2019, the South African Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries notified the WTO TBT committee (G/TBT/N/ZAF/48/Rev.3) of a draft revision to the Labelling of Alcoholic Beverages regulation. The revision includes:
- Additional definitions/class designations;
- Clarification that the addition of Cannabis is not permissible in the production of any liquor products;
- Amendments to the levels of substances in wine, including lead and potassium polyaspartate;
- Amendment to substances, which may be added to liquor products including an alterations to the conditions for water addition to wine;
- Clarification on tannin addition;
- Establishes definitions and conditions for low alcohol, dealcoholized wine; and
- Other minor corrections.
The final date for comment is 60 days from the notification. The revised regulation is available here.